FAQ  •  Login

Fangame development will be completed

<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Fangame development will be completed

After a long hiatus, I have decided to get back to work on Fangame development and complete it. Many of my original grand plans for the game will not come to pass, but I have decided to, at the very least, give Fangame The Game the closure it so needs and deserves.

I will be finishing the Amper Sands boss as well as adding one final level and one final boss. I believe this to be the bare minimum for qualifying Fangame development as "finished".

During this process I will certainly be wanting more beta playtesting. However, things will not be run the same way they have in the past. Beta releases will not be nearly as frequent as they were before. I will only release beta builds for testing after large portions of design have been implemented. No more of this "new build with every tiny change" nonsense. If you're interested in playtesting for Fangame, let me know. Please be advised, however, that you do need to be well versed in IWBTG-style games as Fangame is very, very difficult and you will not be a very effective or useful playtester if you are unable to handle the challenges the game has to offer.

I'm also going to be needing active moderators for the forum. I've currently closed registration to prevent spambots from flooding the boards, but I'll need to reopen registration so that new players and fans can use the forum. I'll need mods to keep an eye on the boards and make sure spam is eliminated promptly and troublesome accounts are banned. Let me know if you're interested in being a mod. Mod positions are only available to people I already know and trust, so if I don't know you, don't even bother asking.

I apologize for abandoning this project in the first place. I know many of you really like Fangame The Game, and it's a special project to me as well, so I'd say it's about time I get this thing finished.

Also note that certain parts of the game you may already be used to might be changed as well. Certain puzzles will be adjusted so that they less ridiculous. A great example of this is the D'ni number puzzle in the Amper Sands top level. The original idea was to provide a quote that the user could search for online and after some poking around would eventually be led to the translations of the symbols shown next to the buttons on the walls, which would then lead them toward solving the puzzle. This whole idea is nonsense for this kind of game and I am sorry I implemented it in this fashion. The rotated bridge segments and the buttons to turn them will still remain the same, but the solution to how to solve it will be far, far less obscure and vague, and will not require the player to leave the game to find out.

Help me spread the word. vertigoelectric is back. Fangame The Game is back on.
<<

Ramond

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Fangame development will be completed

I'm really glad it has come to this. Know that I will be available nearly all summer (up until the end of September) to aid you in your quest of finishing Fangame: The Game! :)

So, with "Many of my original grand plans for the game will not come to pass" you probably also mean the idea with the Portal segment, right? While it's sad to see such an idea not make it into the game I can fully understand that decision, I remember that some time ago you tried to implement that (if I remember correctly), and it was quite a hassle and didn't fully work yet.

If you need any new Jonny-sprites I'll be glad to pixel-draw something up!
(For example, I still think it would be kind of funny to have an "infinite desert" to the right of the Amper Sands, and after 30 seconds or so, Jonny falls onto his knees and then onto the floor, with the Game Over screen following.)
<<

popcorn

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 pm

I am able to beta test again. I am however trying to get a job at the moment, but I should still be able to test whenever I have any sort of free time.

I am happy but also sad to see Jonny's journey end, but maybe in a few years or so you could make a Fangame the game 2 like you said that you were thinking about, and if you do that maybe you could add some stuff that you said you couldn't add in this one, but that is completely up to you.

I look forward to testing the game once again. Until that happens I am probably going to play it to sharpen up my skills again.
Love, your "I Wanna Be The Fat Guy" designer
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks, popcorn, for everything. However, your job hunt needs to be your first priority. Don't let this project get in the way of that.

That being said, if you do have time on the side to help out with the project, that would be fantastic. I would also like a beta team manager again as well... someone to go out and recruit playtesters and stuff. IF between your job hunts you think you'll have even time for this, popcorn, I'd like to have you back as beta manager. I'll need to be in better communication with you for that, though... so we can talk on skype or something.

If popcorn is unavailable and anybody else is interested in beta manager, let me know.
<<

natedog2007

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm

if your looking for beta testers id be glad to help out i've played lots of iwbtg games and while i'm not the best i'm stubborn and don't give up
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:01 am

Okay nate. Thank you! I'll definitely let you playtest. I still need a manager though... mostly someone to help recruit more playtesters, and then helping me manage communication with them if necessary.
<<

popcorn

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't think I will be able to be the beta manager anymore. I can still test and all that, but I have been really busy looking for a job and keeping track of all that. I have been playing this game again, I have let my skill slip, but I am still having fun with it again. I forgot how much fun this game was. I am really looking forward to seeing it completed.
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:35 am

Understandable.

I suppose I don't really need a beta team manager. In fact I think a better approach to "recruiting" is just to ask everybody to just spread the word. Tell people that I'm looking for beta playtesters for Fangame. It'd be nice to have a nice lineup of playtesters by the time I'm actually ready to release a test build.
<<

popcorn

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 am

Ok, I will start asking around. I think that my friends on the x-box would be a nice place to start.
<<

markmark

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:48 am

::dusts off login::

Great to hear itll be worked on again!
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 am

Nice to see you again, markmark.

Just to let everyone know, my family has a lot going on right now and my wife and I can't even pay the bills because my income has recently been reduced to almost nothing. That being said, this project isn't just going under the rug again. I will finish the game. It just isn't a priority right now. I know this sounds like me just going back and forth again, but things were going okay when I "came back" to the project some weeks ago. However since then a lot has happened and to be totally honest I'm rather afraid of what's going to happen if we don't get some more income soon.

Don't worry, though... I'm not quitting... just prioritizing.
<<

Ramond

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Real life should be the priority over anything else anyway. Good luck!

Return to Latest News