Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

The NES OST Web Site

Hey guys. I've started to build a new website. It's a website where you can download the original soundtracks from almost any and every NES game ever. Yes, there are a few unavailable. That's why I said "almost". If you know of an NES game that I don't have the soundtrack for, please feel free to request it.

I've started this new website with complete soundtracks for over 1,300 NES titles. Please check it out. It's still very new and though all of the tracks are sortable, searchable, and downloadable, there is still much to be added to the site later on. I have been working on a user account registration system, as well as possibly adding a built-in player to play the tracks on-the-fly for quick previews before downloading.

I've wanted to build this for a very long time, however I have hesitated for two reasons, both of which I doubt will be an issue anyway. Firstly, I have wondered about the legality of offering such content. There are obvious questions that arise concerning whether or not I could get in trouble for such a thing. However, the ongoing success of sites such as khinsider.com implies that I should not have a problem. The second issue is whether or not anybody would bother with my site. There are plenty of places to download video game musics. I believe that I can offer soundtracks to many rare titles that cannot be found (at least not easily) at many other similar sites.

Anyway, please don't hesitate to tell me what you think. Feel free to make suggestions.

For those of you who use Facebook, I've added a Facebook "Like" button in the top left of the site (I might move it later), and it would mean a lot to me if you'd "Like" it in order to show your support. Thanks.

The site is also loosely designed to display images associated with each game's track listing. As of now, only two games have images. They are 100 Man $ Kid and 1942. View the track listings for those games and you'll see that it shows an image of the game's title screen. Unfortunately, there is no quick way to get the images for the games, so if you'd like to help me gather some of the images to some of the games, I would be ever-so-grateful. Before you can help, though, there are some things you need to know.

The images need to be in JPG or PNG format. So far, that is all the code will recognize. Most images grabbed from the net will be in JPG anyway so it should be okay. I've also designed the code to check to see if there is an image available for the game based on the game's EXACT TITLE. That means that when you view the track listing for the game "Ghosts'n'Goblins", it will look to see if there is an image file called "Ghosts'n'Goblins.png" or "Ghosts'n'Goblins.jpg". If it is not an exact match, it will not work. IF you really want to be cool and help me collect the images, PLEASE rename them to go with the game before you send them to me.

Lastly, if you want to help, for example, by looking up the images for all games of a certain letter, or perhaps all of a certain series, perhaps you can mention it here, so that other people or I don't look for them also.

Well, I hope you guys like the website. I'm sure it'll be quite helpful to the IWBTG fangame community.

EDIT: The site now also supports GIF format for those images I talked about.

EDIT 02: The site now should support any image supported by the browser due to a newly implemented wildcard function.