FAQ  •  Login

I Wanna Be The Fat Guy

<<

IWBTFatG

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:43 pm

I Wanna Be The Fat Guy

Hello everyone, i am IWBTFatG. Me and Popcorn are makeing I Wanna Be the Fat Guy.The game play is simular to I Wanna Be The Guy, but it will also be very different at the same time. The game is not into the beta testing phases yet, so dont ask. This is an original idea, so dont copy us. Fangame The Game and IWBTG inspired us to make this game. It will take a while to create but is bound to be epic. We are planing on introducing as many computer games and video games as posible. There will be lots of secret items with in the game and many awsome power-ups. Be prepared for a lot of worlds and bosses. We will keep you informed about this game as much as we can. We will notify you when being a beta is possible. If you have any questions ask.
Last edited by IWBTFatG on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerly, your "I Wanna Be The Fat Guy" developer.
<<

popcorn

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Re: I Wanna Be The Fat Guy

This game is still in the skeleton phases, we will work quickly on the game and update you guys so don't worry.
Expect a lot of flying apples and spikes in the future.
Enjoy!!! :)
Love, your "I Wanna Be The Fat Guy" designer
<<

IWBTFatG

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:30 pm

I have a potential problem. My friend told me this. Lets say that I add mario into my game, Its illegal. Is that true?
<<

Ramond

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 am

This is a kind of question that I've seen around a lot already.

Basically, you are allowed to use chars from companies in your fan-made creations if

1) you give credit to their respective owners
2) you don't make any profit from your creation

...I think that's about how it is.
<<

markmark

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 am

If you dont make money from it you will be fine. Nintendo loves user made content as long as they dont profit from it, dont believe me? search mario in newgrounds and youll find like a billion games with mario
<<

IWBTFatG

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Thank you Ramond and markmark.
<<

popcorn

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:53 pm

I was actually about to ask the same question but since IWBTFatG asked it and got answers I guss it dosn't matter.

By the way thanks for answering now we can continue our idea's without worrying about that stuff. ^_^
<<

IWBTFatG

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:23 pm

I thought i would ask the people what they like, dislike, and want in an IWBTG game.

So, WHAT DO YOU WANT?
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:01 am

Let me clear a few things up.

Firstly, copyright laws are such that giving the author "credit" and/or not making a profit do not matter. In other words, those two details don't make any difference in terms of copyright infringement. For example, if you use a full length song in a video you make and post it publicly (like to YouTube), even if you add a note that gives credit to the artist, you're still breaking copyright law. If you create a game, for example, with mario as the main character, but don't sell it or make any profit from it, you could still be breaking copyright law.

There are some cases in which you can use copyrighted materials in your own works, though I encourage you to look them up yourself. Here are a few things I remember from my own research on this issue. They are cases in which it may be okay to use copyrighted materials.

Review or critiquing purposes. Even segments of movies are protected by copyright laws, but movie reviewers can use clips in their reviews because of this special permission, as long as it is not an unnecessarily large amount of material being used.

Educational purposes. I don't remember the details for this one, but presenting copyrighted materials in a classroom or educational setting is generally okay.

Using pieces of copyrighted material to create a brand new piece of work. THIS is actually the one that would apply most to games like Fangame. It means that if you take pieces of various copyrighted material and put them together to create a new, original piece of work, you're okay. In the case of fangames, you might take graphics from various games, or sound effects, all of which may be copyrighted material, but you use them in such a way as to create an entirely new thing. However, as with the review/critique conditions, you also can't use too much material from the same copyrighted work. I'm not sure where you'd draw the line, however.

There are others, but the one that is the biggest gray area is "Fair Use". It's often hard to describe fair use, so I'd look that one up if I were you.

Anyway, my original point was that people THINK that if you credit the author or use material without making profit, you're doing it the legal way, and that is NOT the case.

I think the main thing in our case is that our use of the materials for our little side games is not worth the author's trouble of trying to enforce their copyrights... and also, as I said, we're probably okay due to the "creating a new piece of work from the copyrighted materials" thing.
<<

markmark

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:36 am

What vertigo is much more accurate. Nintendo could technically send you a cease and desist notice, but if you arent making money the chances are near nil. Nintendo likes its customers and their fan creations ^_^
http://kotaku.com/5585802/nintendo-does ... essed-fans

"Of course, we cannot say that we can give tacit approval to any and all the activities which threaten our intellectual properties. But on the other hand, it would not be appropriate if we treated people who did something based on affection for Nintendo, as criminals."
<<

popcorn

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Thank you Vertigo and Markmark you both are very helpful with questions that we have. ^_^
<<

K0cc4

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:36 am

sounds nice even though... i don't understand why would someone wanna be a fat guy o_o

can we get some updates on the subject? it's been a long time since you last posted
<<

IWBTFatG

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:09 am

K0cc4 wrote:sounds nice even though... i don't understand why would someone wanna be a fat guy o_o

can we get some updates on the subject? it's been a long time since you last posted

Well K0cc4, Me and popcorn are still working out the bugs with the story. Its a work in progress. Right now I am trying to get all the functions of our game to fully work. I can't tell you the story quite yet, but i will work on getting it done soon and sorry about not informing you guys about our game. I will post more often and keep you guys updated.
<<

popcorn

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Me and FatG are going to make our own songs out of existing songs, we are going to alter the lyrics so they are more Fat Guy friendly.
I will keep you posted!!!
<<

IWBTFatG

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:00 pm

This is a quick summary of the story. If it dasnt make sence to you, it will in the game. Thank you for waiting.

THE STORY

The game is about an ordinary teen named Corjo. On his 15th b-day, he gets a gun and goes on a rampage of destruction. Then he gets in trouble with the law and needs to take on a new look. He decides He Wants To Be The Fat Guy.

When we get done with the story it will be longer and it will be updated as we go along.

I am announcing that the main menu is almost done, but needs to look a little better. Corjo is working on the song list and some room desings right now. I am finishing up the Tutorial. Our Tutorial is treated as any normal room would be treated. So you better learn fast if you dont know how to play. I will give you a sneak peak of the tutorial when finished. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask.

Also I have a question for the public. I have an idea under development. Reply because i want to know what you think. On the esaiest difficulty you can move the mouse on the screen and find hidden hints that will help you. Please Reply
Next

Return to Other Projects