FAQ  •  Login

Help design a level for Fangame!

<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:21 am

Help design a level for Fangame!

"My designs? In Fangame?" It's more likely than you think!

Without trying to make this TOO formal, let me explain my idea.

I want to design a level in Fangame that is made up of rooms designed by players like you. Basically, all you would do is come up with the design for a room, including any traps or puzzles you want in it, submit your design to me, and once I have enough rooms designed by people I will put them all together to form one whole level.

You may be wondering how you are going to design a room if you don't have the software I am using to make the game. The answer is simple, actually. Just draw it out. Use whatever drawing programs you have available to you and simply draw out your design. Use MS Paint if you have to. Heck, you can draw it on a piece of paper and scan it. As long as I can understand your design, it should be okay.

I will have a deadline for when all designs must be submitted, but I'll come up with it later.

Here are some important guidelines and helpful hints to help you design a proper room:

- The room cannot be more than 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels tall. It can be smaller, if you prefer, but never larger than 800x600.

- Be sure to write out and explain how any traps and puzzles will work in your room. Explain them clearly so I can understand them and design them the way you have intended.

- Fangame uses a tile size of 32x32 pixels as a standard. This info might help you, however, you are not limited to this tile size. When I recreate your design to be put into the game I can use just about any wall thickness, shape, color or pattern that you want me to.

- Do not draw slopes into your design. Fangame's engine does not support walking on sloped surfaces.

There are various interactive objects that you can include in your design that I have already programmed into the Fangame engine. These include but are not limited to:

- Red and yellow springboards (like in Sonic games) that face either up or down

- Conveyor belts moving either left or right

- Gravity panels that shift the player's gravity either up or down when he passes through them

- 32x32 pixel breakable blocks

- horizontally moving platforms

- vertically moving platforms

- falling platforms (they fall after the player steps on them)

- static "ghost" platforms (the player can jump up through them from below but cannot pass through them from above)

Make sure you specify where everything goes and what they're supposed to do.
Remember that the player can shoot upward but not downward.

I've already typed more than I planned to type tonight. I know this post can use a lot of cleaning-up, but I'm too tired to care about it right now. I just wanted to let everybody know the basics. If you have any questions that will help you design your room, please ask them in a reply to this thread.
<<

Denots

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 am

Re: Help design a level for Fangame!

Excuse me , the Mario's block has a face could be hampered by falling platforms or breakable blocks ?
<<

markmark

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 am

might give this a shot....any preference on entrance/exit locations? :jonny:
<<

dcx888

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Okay I have arequest that I think you could do or grab some inspiration.

- Noitulove 2 - Using like half its traps there but hay I don't care
- Gunstar Heroes - "Seven force" ...If you can manage to make a working reference or boss I would love you long time...oh mega nostalgia!
http://www.spriters-resource.com/genesi ... index.html here are some Gunstar hereos sprite in which I can't manage to use (as of yet)

Uhh theres more but got a mindblock thinking about Gunstar Heroes but at least It's an idea that can manifist itself into a something Inception like....

Also Im tired
<<

Pwn4ge1337

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:35 pm

So I had an idea a while ago and made a rough copy of it. Dont be quick to judge cause I had the idea for a long time but drew this in like 5 minutes

Basically the blue thing is a nest (it's from metroid zero mission) and spawns little blue flying things that would swarm you and kill you. They might act similar to the bats in I Wanna Be The Fangame. I haven't designed any obstacles yet, (possibly something pops out of lava? Maybe add some spikes before you drop down?) but if anyone thinks this is a good idea I could do some work on it and make tiles and stuff
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Try to keep it relatively simple, guys...
<<

Pwn4ge1337

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm

vertigoelectric wrote:Try to keep it relatively simple, guys...

okey dokey I try to think of a puzzle or something then =P
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:35 am

I was really tired when I typed the original post here, so it's not very well explained or organized. At this point I'm not going to promise anything. I might be able to get this idea to work, but I'm not sure yet.
<<

Denots

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:20 am

I have designed three rooms for fangame .

The room ONE
In this room have to notice that whenever you go down , remember to retain the way to go back up , because of "Mario's blocks" let you can't go down in once time .

The room TWO
When players turn to right .
When players turn to left .
There are something will move when players turn left or right in this room , it has similar room in the fangame .
Specially , at the high place of this room has a wrong way (trap) that you pass trough it but cannot go down .

The room THREE
This room is more special than ONE and TWO , some place in this room seem too long to players jump over and arrive in opposite way ,
but when you try to use "wall jump" jump right (or left) way and keep put your right (or left) key , you will find that it will faster than you run or jump usually , so that it is able to pass through this room if you use it . (By the way , I don't no whether it is bug or not)

I do not have set any save in all three room , if the room would be used in fangame , please set the save in white check on the picture .
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:20 pm

WOW, dude. Just... wow. If everybody was as specific and detailed as you are, this would be a piece of cake.

Uhm... hmmmm....

Your english is a bit difficult for me to understand. I'll have a look over these later but I'm gonna have some questions.
<<

yuybill

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:16 pm

The room (yellow

The room (red

There are mithing in breakable blocks.
By the way,I don't know that bullet whether have enough time to hit all breakable blocks or not.

Background

Way
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:43 am

Wow! Very nicely laid out. Hmmm... let's try to step away from the Amper Sands theme since it was already such a big level. I can implement the same basic designs using a different tileset.

We'll need to work over some of these designs, though. There are a few areas that I can see would be impossible. I'm too tired to discuss them in detail now, though.

Oh, and Denots, I'd prefer if each person only submitted a design for a single room.
<<

Denots

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 am

Oh...I see , and I feel room THREE is better than ONE and TWO , so I select it to represent my room .
<<

Denots

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:54 am

I have found there are some wrong in my room , so I modify it .
It's the picture after modifying ,
<<

vertigoelectric

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:38 pm

This jump right here is impossible (or nearly impossible). Even with the breakable block gone, you wouldn't be able to jump off of the vines at a low enough angle to avoid hitting the spike. If the spike were up a little higher, it would be doable.

This would also be impossible for the same reason stated above. The only difference here is that you'd be upside down.

And I'm really not sure how this would be possible at all.

Also, yuybill, I've been looking at your room design and even though I see where you're supposed to go, I'm not sure where you're supposed to shoot.
Next

Return to General Discussion